- 3 intermediate and advanced language courses:
- GER 104, 203, 204 (203 and 204 can be taken out of sequence)
- 2 gateway seminars:
- GER 300, 301 (can be taken out of sequence)
- 1 practical skills course, such as:
- GER 401: German for Business
- GER 402: German Translation
- MLL 495: Modern Languages Internship
- 1 400-level topics research seminar, such as:
- GER 488: Special Research Seminar (can be repeated with different topics)
- 1 Senior Thesis Seminar:
- GER 489
- 4 Elective courses that are pre-approved by the advisor. No more than 3 can be taught in English and 1 must have a European Studies focus, such as:
- EURO 201, 202, 203
- HIST 222, 334A, 338A, 346
German Studies Majors are required to spend a semester studying abroad in a German-speaking country. All credits earned abroad are eligible for transfer if the student is enrolled in affiliated programs.
GER 300 and GER 489 must be taken at Catholic University.
Under special circumstances may students petition that the study abroad requirement be waived.
Interdisciplinary Course Work
German Studies Majors are strongly advised to complete the course work for the Certificate in European Studies to integrate their studies in larger European cultural context.
Students should also consider to add a minor or a second major in a related discipline, such as Art, Drama, History, International Business, Media and Communication Studies, Philosophy, or Politics..