Sigma Delta Pi, the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society, strives to honor those who attain excellence in the study of the Spanish language and in the study of the literature and culture of the Spanish-speaking peoples. It aims to honor those who have made Hispanic contributions to modern culture better known in the English-speaking world, and to encourage college and university students to acquire a greater interest in, and a deeper understanding of, Hispanic culture. Sigma Delta Pi seeks to foster friendly relations and mutual respect between the nations of Hispanic speech and those of English speech.
The eligibility requirements for all undergraduate students are:
- completion of eighteen semester credit hours of college-level Spanish or the equivalent thereof
- completion of at least three semester hours of a course in Hispanic literature or Hispanic culture and civilization
- completion of at least three semesters or five quarters of college work
- a minimal grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in all Spanish courses,
- rank in the upper 35% of the class.
Graduate students who have been unconditionally admitted to the MA or PhD program may become members upon the successful completion of two graduate courses in Spanish.
Students are invited to submit their credentials for membership through this form.